This page details the release history of Common Metadata.
Versioning: Number changes (e.g., 1.2 and 2.4) constitute schema changes. Letter changes (2.3c) are documentation-only changes.
Backwards Compatible means that elements were added, but old elements still exist. Therefore, an old XML document with the new namespace will validate.
This version adds support for Immersive video including VARM (Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality) and 360 Video; improves image and interactive Digital Asset data; and includes numerous changes to support supply chain use cases.
- Version 2.5 Specification
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v2.5, December 16, 2016 (PDF)
- Version showing changes from v2.4 (PDF)
- Version 2.5 Schema (December 16, 2016)
Added support for VR, AR, MR and 360 video and audio types. This includes changes throughout (WorkType, Video, Audio, Interactive, etc.)
- Clarified EIDR-X extension acceptable characters. Former wording unnecessarly constrained encoding and prohibited characters in common use 9e.g., ":").
- Expanded WorkType definitions for other media. Supports, VARM, games, apps, CPE , etc.
- Added ArtReference/@purpose. This is used to select the appropriate image for a particular use rather than just relying on resolution.
- Added 360 and Multiview to ThreeD (3D). Allows signaling of 360 video. Multiview indicates multiple sychronized videos. 360 with multieview is sometimes called 'teleporting'.
- Added ‘no-audio’ WorkTypeSub to indicate silent film with no audio. This is used in MMC to signal that the work truly has no associated audio (i.e., don't fail QC for missing audio).
- Allow multiple DistrTerritory in ReleaseHistory. Saves having to repeat the whole record when the same party distributes in multiple territories.
- Added @role to Release org in Release history. When ambiguos indicates role of mentioned party.
Digtal Asset Metadata
- Added Ambisonics and Quad Binaural. Part of VARM/360 support.
- Added @forced boolean to indicate forced narrative on dubs. This is used in MMC to signal that there is no forced subtitle track (i.e., what would be in forced subtitles is included in audio). This typicaly used when some languages have forced subs and others do not (i.e., don't fail QC for missing forced subs).
- Allow multiple instances of Language. Required for tracks without a dominant language (e..g, Babel)
- Add SubType and People to audio track for better descriptions of commentaries. Provides better information for commentary track selection (i.e., whose commentary).
- Added CaptureMethod (e.g., live action vs. animation). This is specifically designed to provide information to optimize encoders for video type. Also, this can be interesting to a consumer.
- Added FormatType enumerations for TTML variants (e.g., IMSC1). Needed to distinguish formats.
- Added Description, Type, Purpose, HDR information and VR thumbnail information. General improvements to image description. VARM/360 support.
- Added SubType and Encoding/EnvironmentAttribute to better describe expected playback environment (useful for apps and VR). Environment attributes are anything else needed to play (for example, wand controllers). This information is used to determine if playback environment is sufficient.
This release adds a variety of small features to support specific Cross-Platform Extras and Media Manifest Core use cases.
- Version 2.4 Specification
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v2.4, October 13, 2015 (PDF)
- Version showing changes from v2.3c to 2.4 (PDF)
- Version 2.4 Schema (February 9, 2015)
- Changed DigitalAssetVideoData/Picture cardinality to 0..1 to support variant tracks without a picture
- Added Language to Video to capture language of text that appears onscreen.
- Corrected use of ‘none’ in Color Differencing
- Changed cardinality of Language in image to 1..n (could be multiple languages in an image)
- Added Language to Card, particularly to support Dub cards.
- Added Application type “Image” and RuntimeEnvironment ‘Default’
- Added ‘Other’ WorkType.
This release adds additional support for Next Generation Video and Audio.
- Version 2.3 Schema (February 9, 2015)
- Version showing changes from v2.3 to 2.3c (PDF)
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v2.3c, July 1, 2015 (PDF)
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v2.3b, June 3, 2015 (PDF)
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v2.3a, March 24, 2015 (PDF)
- Version showing changes from v2.2 to 2.3 (PDF)
- Minor text corrections.
- Basic Metadata
- Added ‘licensor’ as AssociateOrg-type/@role. This is generally used only for Avails.
- To Hash-type added CRC enumerations and noted that Hash-type can be used for both cryptographic hash and error detection/correction code.
- Deprecated CableLabs genres (no longer posted)
- Made CompObj-type/Entry optional to support reference to complications whose entries are unknown. This is required for EIDR and Avails.
- Digital Asset Metadata
- Added Ancillary tracks to support tracks that enhance other tracks, such as Dolby Vision and MPEG Sample Variants
- Added HDR metadata, in particular the ability to carry:
- MaxFALL and MaxCLL
- SDRDownconversion (‘prohibited’)
- Added UHDImage flag in subtitle
- Added ‘MPEG-H’ codec enumeration
- Added VBR and BitRateAverage to video encoding (has been in schema since v2.0)
- Added WhitePointChromaticity to spec (was correct in schema).
- Added ‘App’ and ‘Gallery’ enumerations for WorkType
- Clarified enumerations of SDRDownConversion
- Clarified ‘cardset’ language.
- Added DTS:X codec.
- Corrected cardinality on Image Language and Cardset Description.
This release adds new codecs and metadata for Next Generation Video data.
- Version 2.2 Specification
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v2.2, October 2, 2014 (PDF)
- Version showing changes from v2.1c to 2.2 (PDF)
- Version 2.2 Schema
- Detailed Revision History, TR-META-REV, v2.2, October 2, 2014 (PDF)
- Added ‘enhancement’ video Type encoding.
- Added AVC Dolby Vision, HEVC Dolby Vision, AC-4
- Under DigitalAssetVideoPicture-type added MasterColorVolume and ColorEncoding.
This version refines many of the concepts introducted in version 2.0. Note that letter releases are documentation-only.
- Version 2.1 Specification
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v2.1c, January 4, 2014 (PDF)
- Version showing changes from v2.1 to 2.1c (PDF)
- Versions showing changes from v2.0 to v2.1 (PDF)
- Version 2.1 Schema
- Detailed Revision History, TR-META-REV, v2.1c, January 4, 2014 (PDF)
- Made DisplayName optional in OrgName-type
- Added @domain to numbers and sequences within ContentSequenceInfo-type
- Corrected text to match schema for DigitalAssetAudioEncoding-type
- Added additional channel mappings
- Added H.265 as a CODEC (for HEVC/H.265)
- Added suggested vocabulary for Video MPEG Profile and Level
- Corrected schema to reflect that @multiplier is optional
- Corrected timecode text to match schema as optional
- Added @guaranteedAbsent to DigitalAssetWatermark-type
- Added ContainerReferene and ContainerIdentifier to ContainerMetadata-type
- Reference added in conjunction with other changes\
- Clarified MIME encoding
- Improved redefine flexibility (most schema changes are these and do not change encoding)
- Additional redefine types
- Fixed DigitalAssetVideoEncoding/ActualLength from 0..n to 0..1. It is correct in the schema. Corrected Ratings reference to correct URL.
- Minor text corrections. References added to new Common Metadata Ratings to avoid duplication. Addition of VP9 codec.
Based on ongoing experience with Common Metadata, this major updated added many new elements. Types were added to support EIDR. Note that despite the large number of additions, existing elements were preserved to support backwards compatibility.
- Version 2.0 Specification
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v2.0, January 3, 2013 (PDF)
- Versions showing changes from v1.2f (PDF)
- Version 2.0 Schema
- Detailed Revision History, TR-META-REV, v2.0, January 3, 2013 (PDF)
- Added detailed WorkType in parallel with WorkType
- TitleDisplay19 optional
- OriginalTitle optional
- Added back missing "AspectRatio" (optional this time). Note that FitToActivePixels was not replaced because it is redundant with PictureFormat
- Added OriginalLanguage
- Added VersionLanguage
- Enhanced SequencInfo
- Created ContentNumber-type (text + @domain)
- Added DistributionNumber and AlternateNumber of ContentNumber-type
- Defined HouseSequence in terms of ContentNumber-type, allowing domain (namespace) to be specified.
- Added CompilationClass
- Change term ‘Composite’ to ‘Compilation’ to avoid EIDR conflict. (text only)
- Added any##other to CompObj-type to allow for EIDR to define ExternalID reference.
- Added EntryNumber to CompObj-type
- Fixed schema to have multiple instances of DisplayName (for multiple languages)
- Added ChildEntryClass
- Added Video/SignedLanguage
- Added Video/Cardset
- Added optional scanOrder to DigitalAssetVideoPicture-type ('BFF', 'TFF' or 'PPF')
- Added PictureFormat to DigitalAssetVideoData-type
- DigitalAssetVideoData-type/SubtitleLanguage --> unbounded
- Added Video Picture FrameRate/@timecode
- Added Audio/Encoding/BitrateAverage
- Added Audio/Encoding/VBR
- Added Audio/Encoding/ChannelMapping
- Added Video/Encoding/BitrateAverage
- Added Video/Encoding/VBR
- Added Picture/ColorSampling
- Added Picture/Colorimetry
- Added Subtitle/Encoding and Interactive/Encoding as xs:anyType
- Added Image/Language (0..n). This allows selection between multiple images associated with particular languages.
- Changed the following to optional: Audio/Channels, Video/ColorType, Picture/AspectRatio, Subtitle/Format, Interactive/Language
- Interactive: Redone
- Added ‘Private’ any##other data to Audio, Video, subtitle, Image and Interative Watermark
- Added DigitalAssetWatermark-type
- Added Audio/Encoding/Watermark
- Added Video/Encoding/Watermark
- Added ID to Audio, Video, Subtitle, Interactive, Image DigitalAssetMetadata items (after TrackReference)
- Added DigitalAssetTrackList-type
- Added any##other to Video/Picture, Video/Encoding, Audio/Encoding
- Allow multiple instances of ContainerSpecificMetadata
- Add to OrgNameType: AlternateName and@ idType
- Added Grouping Entity (from EMA Metadata)
- Added DisplayCredit (from EMA Metadata)
- Added elements to Container-type
xs:redefine simple types
- One for languages
- One for each string type that is subject to redefine.
The 1.2 specifications contain a large number of small corrections resulting from implementation experience. There is only one 1.2 schema--all other changes were documentation-only. Moved ratings to Common Ratings.
- Version 1.2f Specification
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v1.2f, October 25, 2012 (PDF)
- Versions showing changes from v1.2e (PDF) [The only change is moving ratings to a separate document Common Metadata Content Ratings, TR-META-CR found at http://www.movielabs.com/ratings]
- Version 1.2 Schema
- Prior document versions of 1.2 - no schema changes
- Version 1.2e Specification
Version 1.2d Specification (replaced by 1.2e)
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v1.2e, October 25, 2012 (PDF)
- Versions showing changes from v1.2a (PDF), from 1.2d (PDF)
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v1.2d, September 24, 2012 (PDF)
- Version showing changes from v1.2a (PDF)
- Version1.2a Specification (replaced by 1.2d)
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v1.2a, May 29, 2012 (PDF)
- Version showing changes from v1.2 (PDF)
- Version 1.2
Specification (replaced by 1.2a)
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v1.2, November 1, 2011 (PDF)
- Version showing changes from v1.1 (PDF)
- Incorporates corrections and enhancements, primarily to support derived specifications.
- Editorial correction to image column and width references. No schema change.
- Added type description for ID types already in schema.
- Added ‘DTS-EXPRESS’ to audio Codec.
1.2d (b and c not released)
- Correct spec to align with schema:
- PrimaryLanguage, PrimarySpokenLanguage,
- Remove AspectRatio which was never implemented in schema. May be added later.
- Remove FitToActivePixels which was never implemented in schema.
- • Added reference to EIDR.
• Added EIDR-S ID scheme.
- Corrections and clarifications for ratings in Ireland.
- Comments on Venezuela
- Added “Explicit Content” to RIAA rating
- Added ‘Easy Reader’ subtitle Type.
- Added ‘editor’, ‘post-production’ and ‘encoding’ to AssociatedOrg enumerations
- Fixed APID examples.
- Minor editorial text corrections.
- Separated out BBFCT for theatrical BBFC.
- Added “E” to BBFC for Exempt content.
- Added Canada/CHVRS.
- Added ratings to indicate unrated in a given region.
- Added ‘exempt’ as a rating condition.
- To match schema
- changed cardinality of CountryOfOrigin to optional
- change cardinality of BasicMetadataInfo-type/Region to optional
- Moved Section 8 Content Ratings Encoding to a separate document: TR-META-CR, Common Metadata Content Ratings, www.movielabs.com/ratings
Improved codec support. Corrections.
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v1.1, January 6, 2011 (PDF)
- Version showing changes from v1.0 (PDF)
- Version 1.1 Schema
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v1.07, October 29, 2010 (PDF)
- Version showing changes from v1.0 (PDF)
- Version 1.0.7 Schema
First release of Common Metadata
- Common Metadata, TR-META-CM, v1.0, January 5, 2010 (PDF)
- Version 1.0 Schema
- Please submit questions and comments to
These works are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License